Last year, we worked with social enterprise Community Catalysts, to create a new way for residents and their families to give feedback on our services, providing them with opportunity to be directly involved in shaping the care offered by Borough Care in the future.
Community Catalysts have worked closely with residents and their families to develop ideas and suggestions, as well as giving feedback on what Borough Care does now and its future direction.
The project was part of our ethos at Borough Care, of residents living their ‘Life in Colour’, and was designed to help ensure each and every resident is able to live in a way that reflects who they are and caters to their needs.
Recently, the team at Community Catalysts has shared the results of the research with families and residents and in turn, we have developed a number of actions and changes that we plan to implement, to help make our residents’ experience at Borough Care the best it can possibly be. Here are just a few of our key changes:
Improved access to technology and internet connections:
- The best high-speed broadband available will be implemented for every home, starting immediately and will be completed by October 2021.
- Testing of Wifi reception across all homes will be completed by the end of April 2021.
- An audit of all hardware (laptops, iPads, etc.) in all homes will be completed by the end of April 2021. Shortfalls in any area will be remedied by the end of May 2021.
- A skills audit around existing and new equipment will be completed by May 2021, followed by training, or refresher training, as required.
A clear system for families to contact residents:
- A new system will be implemented as soon by the end of May 2021 and will be communicated to all recognised resident contacts, firstly via traditional mail and subsequently via digital channels.
- Agreed response times, for calls, emails, etc. will be provided for all family contacts.
More frequent updates to be shared with families who are unable to visit:
- We will develop a ‘resident of the day’ approach and implement it in every home by the end of May 2021, providing family members with a full update on their loved one’s care and daily activities.
- This will provide an update, photos, messages and potentially direct contact, so that each resident is supported in a more individually tailored way, and families engaged and communicated with, on a minimum monthly basis.
The work doesn’t stop here. As we implement these changes, the team at Community Catalysts will continue to speak to our residents and families to gather feedback, and as each new theme emerges, we’ll consider the recommendations and respond accordingly, to ensure we’re able to continuously improve our approach and our services, providing our residents and their loved ones with the best possible experience.